Serving the world with Accurate GK and Current Affairs
August 2014 Current Affairs
1. Honorable Narendra Modi is the first Prime Minister to visit Kargil after 1999 war. Narendra Modi
visited Kargil for the inauguration of Chutak hydro electric project in Kargil.He also inaugurated 45 MW Nimoo-Bazgo hydro-electric power project and also the laying of power transmission lines connecting Srinagar-Kashmir-Leh in Leh. Army officers including Army chief Dalbir Singh camped at Siachen to receive the prime minister Narendra Modi.
2. In Year 2014, for the first time no athlete will be conferred the Khel Ratna award ever since its inception in 1991.
3. This year, Kapil Dev headed the 11-member committee which was assigned to short list names for the Arjuna Award and Khel Ratna for year 2014.
4. “Mangalyaan” is India's first inter-planetary mission to Mars. It would reach the Martian orbit on September 24 as per schedule says ISRO.
5. China has launched Yaogan XX satellite to prevent natural disaster.
6. PJ Kurien, Deputy Chairman Rajya Sabha asked government over the absent-ism of ministers in debate on working of Women and Child Development Ministry.
7. PM Narendra Modi inducted INS Kolkata Warship in Indian Navy on 16 August 2014. INS Kolkata will lead Kolkata-class guided-missile destroyers.
8. Germany's foreign intelligence agency is accused of spying on Kerry and Clinton. Here Kerry is John Kerry (current US Secretary of State) and Clinton is Hillary Clinton(former US Secretary of State).
9. Government of Karnataka has recommended 3 cities including Bangalore to set-up AIIMS like institutes. Full form of AIIMS is All India Institute of Medical Sciences.
10. Current Health and Family Welfare Minister in center is Dr Harsh Vardhan.
11.What is IFC? International Finance Corporation in short IFC is the World Bank's financing arm for the private sector. IFC said that it would raise $2.50 billion
to support infrastructure in India.
12.Infosys Technologies Limited got a new Chief Executive Officer in Dr. Vishal Sikka. He will be paid $5.08 million that is over Rs. 30 Crore a year. He is MD/CEO of Infosys since August 01, 2014.He is the highest paid CEO in India. He was previously working in SAP a German company.
13. Maharashtra governor K Sankaranarayanan, who on being transferred to Mizoram by the NDA government late on Saturday night, has sent resignation and has refused to take charge of his new assignment.
14. Name of Palestinian Prime Minister is Benjamin Netanyahu. He has warned Gaza civilians to evacuate any site where Hamas are carrying out terrorist activities.
15. Ravi Shastri, formerly an Indian cricketer is the current Team Director of Indian Cricket Team. He has also got awards like Arjuna Award for Cricket,
ITA Award for Best Anchor Commentator - Sports etc. He was born on 27 May 1962 in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
16. PM Narendra Modi launches his first blockbuster scheme PM Jan Dhan Yojna. 1.5 Crore bank Accounts were open in a single day. These accounts will be initially recharged by PM, each account with life insurance cover of Rs 30,000, adding to the Rs 1 lakh accidental insurance benefit already available under the account that will come embedded with a Ru-Pay-enabled debit card.